[GRASS-dev] Error setting region: child process exited abnormally

chris carleton w_chris_carleton at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 10 10:50:46 EST 2009

Hi All,

I'm getting an error when I run the GUI, which does start up and seem to run normally thereafter, but I also receive the same error when I try to display maps. I haven't made any changes that I'm aware of and I have tried searching the mailing list for a solution. The most prominent results of my searches suggest that the error has something to do with GDAL, so I've checked and included the output of my troubleshooting below. It doesn't seem that I'm running an incompatible version of GDAL, but I could be wrong. The error I'm receiving is below my system information. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer (hopefully I won't have to rebuild GRASS).

System:
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 LTS
Dell XPS M1210

Error setting region: child process exited abnormally

Troubleshooting:
------------------------------
$ cd /usr/lib/
$ find -name '*gdal*'
./libgdal1.5.0.la
./libgdal1.5.0.so.1.12.1
./libgdal1.5.0.so.1
./libgdal1.5.0.a
./libgdal1.5.0.so
./ogdi/libgdal.so

GRASS 6.4.0RC4 (global):~ > ldd $GISBASE/lib/libgrass_vect.so | grep gdal
        libgdal1.5.0.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgdal1.5.0.so.1 (0xb7916000)
GRASS 6.4.0RC4 (global):~ >

GRASS 6.4.0RC4 (global):~ > dpkg -l | grep gdal
ii  gdal-bin                                   1.5.1-3                             Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Utilit
rc  libgdal1-1.4.0                             1.4.4-1ubuntu3            Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
ii  libgdal1-1.5.0                             1.5.1-3                          Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
ii  libgdal1-dev                               1.5.1-3                           Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Develo