[GRASS-dev] svn addon

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 17:47:27 EST 2009

Martin Wegmann wrote:
> I am planning to add some landscape ecology/spatial pattern
> analysis modules
> to the GRASS svn addon repository but while looking at the
> addon repository I
> got a bit confused about the variation in folder topics.
>
> I thought that only folders concerning addons exist and
> that they are split up
> into thematic groups (folders), however various other
> topics (e.g. flyer) exist as well.

maybe flyer should go into a "propoganda" subdir or so, but for
the most part I don't think it is so bad.

in future we will eventually have to move the grass6 raster/vect
etc dirs into a grass6/ subdir which will clean up the root a
lot.

if your modules are part of a suite my recommendation would be
to add them as e.g. raster/toolboxname/r.modulename/
if they stand on their own add them as individual modules,
raster/r.modulename/

> I don't know if there have been already some discussions
> concerning the addon repository structure, if not:
> I would suggest first to move all non-addon folder to
> a new folder e.g. "non_code", then add a folder for each
> topic e.g.
> "classification", "hydrology" etc. and move the respective
> addons into these folders.

it is a bit of a pain to move things as it breaks everyone's
URLs and g.extension hints.

> Additionally I would suggest a html addon-overview
> page with a short
> description of the general aim and the specific modules.

see the Addons page on the wiki. Now that's where I think we
could use a much better hierarchical design as it has grown
to over 100 modules. Maybe put grass5, raster, vector on
their own pages, then split by ==Heading== within those raster/
vector pages?

> I apologize if there have been already some
> discussions/decisions concerning
> this topic, I was just a bit expecting a R-like addon
> structure, with overview, topics etc.

topics could also be centered around the wiki Applications pages.

I'm not more than a somewhat ignorant casual user of it, but
usually I have to call on Google to navigate CRAN effectively,
fwtw...

regards,
Hamish