[GRASS-dev] Re: a better console and better diff

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Wed Dec 16 12:34:21 EST 2009

On Wednesday 16 December 2009, Michael Barton wrote:
> Darn. All of my ideas about why this doesn't work right don't work. I guess
> try what Hamish said.
>
> Michael

OK--

This time, starting GRASS, and the GUI-- and raster and vector maps are
displayed within about 2-6 seconds. I wonder if this is a byte-code compiling
thing... the first time GRASS was run with the new modules = slow, closing
and opening again = fast?

looking at the output in top, I could see that a process called 'python' was
using 99% of CPU, and about 3% of available memory. Nothing else looked
suspicious.

I really like the auto-complete stuff, with a little work this may be a
workable alternative to the X11-based monitor. It is still about 2-3x slower
than the X11 version. Is the GUI faster on GRASS 7?

Thanks for all of the hard work!

Cheers,
Dylan