[GRASS-dev] Issues of 6.5 build on WinXP

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Dec 29 19:51:10 EST 2009

On Dec 29, 2009, at 10:00 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 08:50:02 +0000
> From: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Subject: RE: [GRASS-dev] Issues of 6.5 build on WinXP
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>

> Glynn Clements wrote:
>
>>> BTW, Glynn, can you add a new vector map? Here is a snippet from the
>>> original post:
>>>
>>> 1) I cannot add a new vector map layer. Only a dummy one is added without
>>> the standard option dialog. All corresponding messages from the Command
>>> output tab can be found at the bottom of this e-mail. Raster maps are Ok.
>>
>> It works for me with 6.4.0-RC5; I'll try with 6.5 once it's compiled
>> (which should take around an hour).
>
> Tried that. It doesn't work for me, although I don't get the same
> error. As soon as I have typed the map name (and before I have pressed
> "OK"), the GUI hangs and has to be forcibly terminated.
>
> Oh, and I get exactly the same behaviour with 7.0 on Linux. Raster
> maps work fine on both Linux and Windows; it only happens for vectors.
>
> This seems to be related to the auto-completion "enhancements" (the
> fact that it happens as soon as the text field contains a valid map
> name is a big clue). This needs to be completely reworked or, failing
> that, removed.
>
> Apart from anything else, it should not be running commands after each
> key press; this is just far too slow, particularly on Windows
> (although it's still noticable on Linux).

Could you clarify what it is you are referring to about autocompletion? Are you talking about the command console or the layer manager? I updated 24 December and all is working well--but I haven't compiled in the past few days.

If the command console is broken, it is something changed since 24 Dec. As written at that time, no command is supposed to run until you press return. No command is supposed to run after each keypress. Keypresses are trapped and tested to see if it is one of a 4 that call autocomplete or call tips (".", "=", <tab>, <ctrl-space>), but that is all. All other keypresses pass on through. Also, I only committed the command console updates to 6.5 and did not backport to 7, wanting to wait for some testing.

Thanks
Michael