[GRASS-dev] v.rast.stats wxPython GUI input reading error

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 18:20:53 EST 2009

Glynn wrote:
> "r.info -s" outputs DMS, when it should probably
> use decimal (-g uses decimal for n/s/e/w).

g.region and libgis accept res=DD:MM:SS, so why should it use decimal?
Usually for lat/lon resolutions (e.g. 2 minutes or 30 seconds) it is
much better & more precisely+understandably represented by DD:MM:SS than
some endless 0.00833333333333... number.  So IMO the GUI should be
enhanced to accommodate DMS instead of the user being inconvenienced
because it is simpler for the programmer.

as to conformity with 'r.info -g' using decimal, I guess you could say that
it matches 'g.region -g' which prefers decimal as it is used more with e.g.
awk math, while r.info is more for the user's eyes..? maybe add decimal
resolution to 'r.info -g' so user has access to both ways if they use
it with awk scripts.

We would definitely need to work on bug #335 to improve resolution
precision, as for lat/lon %.6f does not keep preserve precision over
output-input round trip for real-case resolutions.
  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/335
(for meter based projections it is sub-millimeter so rarely noticed there)

Hamish