[GRASS-dev] vector large file support

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 11 05:17:27 EST 2009

Markus Metz wrote:

> BTW, display of grass7 with cairo appears to be half the speed of
> grass65, I think it was faster last week (can't remember the revision).
> Not sure if this justifies a complaint.

Almost everything related to display has changed between 6.x and 7.0.

One relatively recent change that may cause a slow-down is that the
display library no longer tries to automatically simplify vectors
(reduce consecutive short line segments with a single segment). This
could have a significant impact when viewing detailed vectors at low
zoom.

The main problem with simplification is that it can result in
artifacts which were hidden by the rendering inaccuries in 6.x but are
visible in 7.0