[GRASS-dev] vector large file support

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Feb 11 09:52:17 EST 2009

On 11/02/09 12:54, Markus Metz wrote:
> IMHO LFS support for vector libs is not necessarily good, currently. In
> order to manipulate large vectors, a very fast CPU, fast hard drives and
> lots of RAM is needed, or a lot of patience, because it can take days or
> weeks to run modules with large vectors as input.

Do you know which part of the modules takes most of the time ? I often
have the feeling that topology building and database access are the two
bottlenecks.

> Maybe I should rather try to fix bugs than to add new features...

As you are becoming one of the experts of GRASS vector code, here are my
two top candidates:

- "Keep topology and spatial index in file instead of in memory" in the
vector ToDo. The fact that it is in memory makes simple vector querying
almost unusable when dealing with larger maps.

- http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/224

Just to keep you motivated ;-)

Moritz