[GRASS-dev] Re: improve v.rast.stats speed? (Markus Metz), Vol 34, Issue 43

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Feb 24 02:34:11 EST 2009

Wouter,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Wouter Boasson <Wouter.Boasson at rivm.nl> wrote:
> I had to perform the operation on 3,000,000+
> polygons on a 33,000 * 28,000 raster....

..
> -deleting a vector dataset must be done manually when for some reason the
> database link cannot be found, which is sometime very annoying, the force
> option should delete it anyway

please file a ticket for this if it is reproduable.

> -using the python gui, selecting a very large vector file from a dropdown
> box (e.g. to show it in a map) takes a lot of time (it starts v.category,
> shouldn't do so)

I *think* that the scrolling time is should be independent from the
vector map size but I don't know what's used internally.

> Other weird problems I noted:
> -using the old tcltk gui the map display doesn't update when loading
> multiple datasets, is this specific to my mega-datasets again?
> -the classic d.what.rast on an x monitor (d.mon ) does not work on my mega
> raster

did you enable large file support (if you compiled it yourself)?

> Apart from this, I created a simple enhancement in the form of a shell
> script, which automatically generates a new database schema when creating a
> new mapset, and you're already logged in into a PostgreSQL database. This
> makes it easy to create new mapsets connected to PostgreSQL, after having
> initially set up a PostgreSQL database + permanent schema. Maybe this
> should be integrated into the g.mapset command.

Please submit it as patch to trac or register in the Addons Wiki.

Markus