[GRASS-dev] Fwd: question about gui switching menu item

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 21:48:24 EST 2009

Michael wrote:
> >> Why does the menu item to change the gui have to run a script instead
> >> of just run g.gui tcltk -un?

because for 6.4 there is a choice of text,d.m,gis.m, and wxPython.

I added a wrapper script instead of just opening a GUI for g.gui to
enforce that the -u and -n flags are used and make it a bit more obvious.

see  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/500

I initially added some text about "will take effect next time you start
grass" but removed it after I noticed that module popup guis use the new
gui immediately. so maybe say "will take *full* effect next time..." or so.
?

"""""
Running it from the wxPython GUI still needs to be tested by someone please. Config -> Working enviro -> Change default GUI

Also, I was thinking it could be useful to add an entry after 'Help->About system' like 'Help->Show system environment' which would run "set" and dump the results to the Output window. It would help in debugging.
"""""
prob add a sep line in the help menu for that and 'About System'.

Hamish