[GRASS-dev] gmath and gpde update

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 13 03:33:29 EST 2009

2009/1/12 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>

> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
> > However, is
> >
> > ** Everyone is granted permission to copy, modify and redistribute this
> > ** Meschach Library, provided:
> > [...]
> > **  3.  No charge is made for this software or works derived from it.
> > **      This clause shall not be construed as constraining other software
> > **      distributed on the same medium as this software, nor is a
> > **      distribution fee considered a charge.
> >
> > GPL-compatible ?
>
> Ah; I don't think so.
>
> The GPL allows you to charge for derivative works (although being
> unable to prohibit free redistribution tends to limit this).
>
> Anyone distributing GRASS binaries is required to provide (or offer to
> provide) the source code for "the work as a whole" (which would
> include meschach) under the terms of the GPL.
>
> This would then allow the recipient to extract any part (e.g.
> meschach) and (try to) sell it. While that seems like a rather
> unlikely scenario, the GPL requires that you permit this, and if you
> cannot permit it, you cannot satisfy the GPL.
>
> And the meschach library appears not to permit it.

Oh no.
Does that mean we can not integrate meschach into grass and only provide a
framework
or wrapper around it? And the user has to compile and install meschach by
himself
to run GRASS?

Or can we risk to integrate it. Because IMHO we have a lot of numerical
recipies code
in gmath which we need to replace.
But replacing one license violation with another is not such a good idea.

I have not the time and the knowledge to replace the numerical recipes
algorithm
with code developed by myself. :/
ATLAS does not provide such algorithms.
In case we choose BLAS, LAPACK, LINPACK and EISPACK
we will depend on a proper FORTRAN to C interface.

What can we do?