[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #163: g.transform no longer calculating error for 2nd order transformation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jan 16 18:02:13 EST 2009

I don't remember reopening it, but don't think it was ever "fixed".
There was some discussion about whether this is a "bug" or not. As I
remember it, here is what happens. If you select 6 points for a 2nd
order transform, you get 00's or bogus numbers for the RMA
calculations. I think someone pointed out that because 6 is a minimum
number, you should get 0's. This seems weird and not too useful. Also,
at least a couple of people in my lab ended up with blank maps with
exactly 6 points. If you use 7 or more points, all problems go away.

I took this to mean that what the docs *really* mean is that you must
have *more* than 6 points for a 2nd order transformation. I changed
the GUI accordingly and suggested that the docs be changed. Others
have said that, no, you need *at least* 6 points, not more than 6
points.

I have not retested this, but AFAIK, there was no change to g.transform.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University