[GRASS-dev] Submitting module to addons - r.sundenoise - mentor required

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 12:26:38 EDT 2009

Hi,

2009/7/3 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
>> In GRASS7 there is no extra support for shell scripts.
>
> This is IMO a huge, huge mistake.

I do not claim that it shouldn't be possible to run shell scripts in
GRASS7. Most of the restrictions in our lives are bad at the end;-)
Anyway I highly suggest to write new scripts in Python, see [1].
Probably it's personal point of view, but writing shell scripts was
always pain for me and I can hardly imagine person (without previous
scripting experience) who prefers to learn how to write shell scripts
rather then to learn Python. Python is quite easy language to learn
for newcomers. Shell scripts are simply not good choice for writing
sometimes quite complicated GRASS scripts.

Martin

[1] http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass6_progman/pythonlib.html

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa