[GRASS-dev] g.extension.add available to install GRASS Addons SVN modules (GEM replacement)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Jul 5 18:11:12 EDT 2009

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> >> done [2], untested. I would vote for moving this module to trunk and
> >> integrate it into wxGUI. Probably it's less robust solution comparing
> >> to GEM, anyway it's easier to maintain.
> >
> > But it seems Linux-centric (e.g. "sudo"), so I'm not sure that this
> > is a
> > good idea to integrate into the GUI, now that we are trying to be as
> > platform-independent as possible.
>
> The OSX app has a user modules dir that wouldn't need sudo.
> g.extension.add should support at least support an arbitrary install
> location.  Maybe: prefix=

Installing extensions via the GUI should install them for an
individual user, not system-wide.

System-wide installations should always be done via the OS' own
package management system: RPM, apt-get, portage, etc.

This isn't something GRASS can improve upon: it's one of those
situations where "different" is inherently "worse".