[GRASS-dev] 7.svn fails to build from source

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jul 21 00:05:10 EDT 2009

I updated the makefile to strip 64bit flags on OSX.  But I found
another problem: it uses WXWIDGETSLIB for linking (it's only
wxwidgets, not wxpython), and it includes universal flags,
independently of however GRASS is configured.

I've been compiling GRASS 7 with -arch i386 -arch x86_64, skipping
PPC, and I'm sure many people will just opt for a "native" build (i386
or ppc).  So, the sources compile i386 (stripped of x86_64), but then
tries to link i386 + ppc because of WXWIDGETSLIB.

Nothing I can do about this, it's really a wxwidgets config bug.  arch
flags should not be a part of link flags, and the arch flags don't
even appear in WXWIDGETSCXXFLAGS or WXWIDGETSCPPFLAGS where they
should be.

The workaround is to make sure to configure GRASS universal.

WXWIDGETSLIB doesn't affect the wxpython modules, nviz and vdigit,
wince they use a setup.py (where I have WXWIDGETSLIB ignored for OSX,
though I'm not sure this is the right way).

Maybe I can strip the arch flags out of WXWIDGETSLIB...