[GRASS-dev] errors in pdfdocs creation

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Jul 27 14:19:19 EDT 2009

Trying to run make pdfdocs in grass6_trunk, I get errors in the
following directories:

lib/gis
lib/vector
swig

[Markus N: this means that if you move those three to the end of the
pdfdocs part of the Makefile, you will get all the other parts of the
ref-manual compiled into pdfs.]

The error message is not very explicit (at least not for me), even when
running with make -d:

Must remake target `refman.pdf'.
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6_devel/lib/vector/latex'
pdflatex refman.tex
Putting child 0x08e97aa8 (refman.pdf) PID 14170 on the chain.
Live child 0x08e97aa8 (refman.pdf) PID 14170
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
  %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(./refman.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
yphenation, croatian, ukrainian, russian, bulgarian, czech, slovak,
danish, dut
ch, finnish, basque, french, german, ngerman, ibycus, greek, monogreek,
ancient
greek, hungarian, italian, latin, mongolian, norsk, icelandic,
interlingua, tur
kish, coptic, romanian, welsh, serbian, slovenian, estonian, esperanto,
upperso
rbian, indonesian, polish, portuguese, spanish, catalan, galician,
swedish, loa
ded.

Reaping losing child 0x08e97aa8 PID 14170
make[1]: *** [refman.pdf] Error 1
Removing child 0x08e97aa8 PID 14170 from chain.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6_devel/lib/vector/latex'
Reaping losing child 0x08775038 PID 14167
make: *** [pdfdocs] Error 2
Removing child 0x08775038 PID 14167 from chain.

The error seems to happen while going through line 46 of
include/Make/Doxygen.make, i.e.:

(cd ./latex && $(MAKE) refman.pdf && mv refman.pdf
grass${GRASS_VERSION_MAJOR}${GRASS_VERSION_MINOR}$(DOXOUTPUT)_`date
'+%Y_%m_%d'`_refman.pdf)

Going into the ./latex directory and running make, I get the same error.
However, refman.pdf seems to be created alright. And when I run the
individual commands in latex/Makefile by hand, i.e.

         pdflatex refman.tex
         makeindex refman.idx
         pdflatex refman.tex
         latex_count=5 ; \
         while egrep -s 'Rerun (LaTeX|to get cross-references right)'
refman.log && [ $$latex_count -gt 0 ] ;\
             do \
               echo "Rerunning latex...." ;\
               pdflatex refman.tex ;\
               latex_count=`expr $$latex_count - 1` ;\
             done

I get no error message (actually there is no message on rerunning latex
in the log, so the entire loop is skipped).

Any ideas of how to debug this ?

Moritz