[GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 12:26:59 EDT 2009

Hi,

2009/6/11 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:

[...]

>> map -> layer (Map Layer)
>> layer -> catset (Category Set)
> to be honest, I'm not a fan of either.
>
> map -> layer: no need for change; layer is less meaningful in this context
>  (my POV is not from the GUI layer-list perspective, so the metaphor makes
>   little sense)

I disagree, 'map' is completely confusing term (in my eyes) in this
context (my POV is "layer-based" GIS). Why GRASS should use different
term when other GIS packages and the most of GIS-related literature
use 'layer' in this context? I cannot see the point.

> layer -> catset: sorry, yuck.
>  (if it must be renamed, what's was wrong with going back to "field"?)
>  [I remember Radim explained on-list why that was changed when it
>   became "layer", ... need to dig out that thread]

Catset seems to me as better choice, since it puts categories to the
set. (not strong opinion here)

Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa