[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Maciej Sieczka msieczka at sieczka.org
Thu Jun 11 14:36:18 EDT 2009

Micha Silver pisze:
> Martin Landa wrote:

>> map -> layer (Map Layer)

> Yes, that sounds right to me. A map in other GIS context is the final
> product of many overlapping "layers". I'd like to see that change
> propogated to both raster and vector.

I'm all for this. A "map" is a graphic representation of geographic
features (contained in GIS vector and raster data layer(s)) + additional
information like scale, north arrow and decorations. Say ps.map output.
Using the term "map" in GRASS for what is commonly reffered to as
"layer" is against the common sense IMHO.

>> layer -> catset (Category Set)

> This change does not remove the confusion.  The concept of "layer" is
> explained both on the vectorintro wiki page [1], and in the manuals as
> database links. If that's what it is, that's what it should be called.
> So layer might become "data link" or  "attribute link"

A "layer" is not a link between a db and GRASS vector map - you can have
a vector map with multiple layers, neither of which, or only some, being
connected with a db table. "layer" is indeed merely a set of categories.
If we change "cat" to "key", maybe "keyset" would be OK?

> And what will the term "cat" be changed to?? I still like Michael
> Barton's  suggestion [2] of cat being renamed "key" (or "id")

"id" is already used in lower-level vector feature identification (see
e.g. v.edit help). "key" sounds fine IMHO.

--
Maciej Sieczka
http://www.sieczka.org