[GRASS-dev] Re: terminology issues in grass7

Markus GRASS markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 16 08:29:32 EDT 2009

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> All features without any cat value display in all layers. As Paul
> mentioned, you have to explicitely use the cat= parameter to only
> display features with cat values in that layer. It is debatable
> whether there should be a flag to indicate "only show features with
> cat values in the chosen layer", or whether this should actually be
> the default with a flag indicating "also show features without cat
> values". I think the first would be more appropriate and would be a
> more convenient way than using cat=1-9999.
It seems that this behaviour depends on the feature types defined with
type option. In a quick test with the spearfish dataset, boundaries
having no cats are always displayed by default, but if I select layer=2
type=area instead of type=point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face, I get
only the areas with a cat value in layer 2 and no boundaries, no lines,
nothing else is displayed, and it is not necessary to use cat=1-9999.

Markus M