[GRASS-dev] Re: terminology issues in grass7

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Tue Jun 16 16:00:53 EDT 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Paul Kelly wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> In GRASS, displaying Layer 1 will show all objects for some vector
>> topologies, and only ID 1 and 2 for other topologies. However, by
>> putting
>> values into cat for Layer 1, you can also display ID's 3 & 4 for
>> Layer 1. You
>> can achieve the same effect by querying cat = 1 for Layer 2. The
>> difference
>> is that sometimes empty cats are displayed and sometimes they are
>> not. To me
>> this is kind of an automatic (inadvertent even) query. Some of this
>> is only
>> semantics, but I think we all agree that semantics can be important.
>
> IMHO these are all side-effects of the inconsistent way layers are
> handled
> amongst different GRASS modules. It's an implementation problem
> (perhaps
> caused by confusion among developers as options were added and
> modified
> over the years), rather than a fundamental problem with the layer
> concept.

The inconsistent implementation is an issue certainly. I don't think
that there is a problem with underlying concept of the layer feature.
Indeed, it is a very powerful data management feature of GRASS. I just
think that another name for the feature would help users to understand
and make use of it better--especially since we also use the term
layers in the GUI layer manager to refer to superimposed displays of
distinct geospatial data files, a very common usage in GIS.

> If we manage to come to a full understanding of the capabilities and
> possibilities of the concept of vector layers in GRASS (which I feel
> this
> discussion is really helping us to work towards, for me anyway),
> then it
> would be an exciting project to do an audit of all vector modules
> and the
> way they handle layers, and tidy up all the inconsistencies so that
> the
> meaning of layers is much more obvious, simply from the module
> options and
> flags. Perhaps too radical though.
>
> Paul

I agree 100%.