[GRASS-dev] Re: terminology issues in grass7

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Jun 17 05:10:13 EDT 2009

On 16/06/09 18:50, Michael Barton wrote:
> Many users writing to the lists seem baffled by GRASS layers. They are
> complicated to explain whatever we name them. My opinion--completely
> unsupported by any systematic data and only by anecdotal experience--is
> that these would be more understandable to more users if we used a term
> that emphasized the database nature of this feature rather than a term
> that suggests that it is most similar to multiple geospatial data layers
> combined into one file--the vector equivalent of a geotiff.

But this is _not_ - primarily - a database feature. It is a way of
organising objects within the same file - thus allowing topological
relationships - but with different meanings. The fact that you can then
link these different meanings to different attribute table is just an
additional - very useful - feature. But you can use the layer feature
without connecting any of the layers to tables. In the examples Radim
gives (for example in [1]), he always talks about attribute tables, but
I never see them as central to the concept, but it is the possibility of
attributing different "natures" to the same objects.

I think that when we think about layers as "purely" database-related,
then we miss the main point, and it is actually debatable whether this
database-related usage is best dealt with through a layers paradigm (see
the thread starting with [2] and then moving to the -dev list with [3]

Yes, layers are complicated. I normally tell my students just to ignore
them as when they come to a stage where they might actually need them,
they should already be advanced enough in GRASS to be able to dig into
the documentation/lists to learn more about them.

I also believe that many users will never need layers. They are useful
for very specific needs, which are not database related. See [4] for an
example.

Moritz

[1]http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2006-March/021650.html
[2]http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2006-September/036284.html