[GRASS-dev] vector libs: file based spatial index

Markus GRASS markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:28:49 EDT 2009

Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Markus GRASS ha scritto:
>
>> What to do now? Leave it all in memory as in grass6, build in memory
>> then write out (risk of running out of memory on massive datasets), or
>> keep it always in file? I'll not commit any time soon (also waiting for
>> the lib/raster commotion to settle down), I need feedback on how to
>> proceed or if I should forget about it.
>>

> I think advice from Radim would be very useful here.
> All the best.

OK, let me rephrase. I think I have two alternatives to the current
implementation of the vector spatial index and would like to know if
grass7 should get 1) faster vector display and lower memory consumption
at the cost of (sometimes) slower vector processing [1], 2) faster
vector display, a similar speed in vector processing but keep the risk
of running out of memory when processing large datasets, or 3) no
changes to the spatial index. IMHO this should be a general decision of
the GRASS community, not of one or two developers.

The actual implementation is not easy and advice from Radim and other
developers would really be very useful.

Markus M

[1] the sometimes slow speed of v.lidar.edgedetection is caused by the
module not the vector libs, as is probably true for other modules e.g.
v.extract (I remember a remark earlier this year, haven't searched the MLs)