[GRASS-dev] vector libs: file based spatial index

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 25 03:38:16 EDT 2009

Markus M wrote:
> Lidar is a special case, I don't see a reason to drag along
> with them topo and the spatial index, maybe the spatial index, but
> not topo

there is nothing at all special about lidar data, it's just a bunch of
x,y,z points. (often with other variables like signal return strength)

if you prefer to think about a more vectory massive dataset try importing
the full OpenStreetMap PostGIS database into GRASS. Of even just the OSM
subset for your country of choice.

observation-prediction-suggestion: Bigger datasets are coming faster
than faster/bigger computers are, and will be very common in the future
(& the future is now in many cases). Keep overheads of all types low and
the rest will take care of itself.

aka life's a compromise, do your best.

Hamish