[GRASS-dev] running v.surf.rst from GUI

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Mar 8 01:05:07 EST 2009

Helena,

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 3:37 AM, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Markus,
>
> thanks for getting back to me on this,
>
> v.surf.rst runs fine from the tcltk gui, it but has several problems in
> wxpython gui
> (this is for today's update of grass65):
>
> 1. It is really hard to find where to put the  name of the main output
> "elevation"
>  - it is not under tab "outputs" but it is under tab "optional" which has
> several inputs
> that you actually must define if you don't want to end up interpolating
> category
> numbers. The tab optional isn't visible, so you need to click on the arrow
> to get to it.
> I think the elevation should be under outputs

I agree with you that it is hard to find (see screenshot attached).
The reason is that in
vector/v.surf.rst/main.c
the entry
parm.elev->guisection = _("Output_options");
is not defined. But see for related WX bug below...

Additionally:
In the Tcl GUI you get the parameter name shown, too. Would it be
possible to add that to the WX GUI, too? see attached screenshot
for what I mean.

Another suggestion: make the WX tabs consume less horizontal space
to see one more tab in the default width.

> 2. I was unable to change the layer number - it was stuck at 1

I just see that the description says:
    parm.field->description =
        _("Field value. If set to 0, z coordinates are used. (3D vector only)");

will take out "Field" as it is called "layer".

> (this may be problem with my installation or I am not clicking on it the
> right way?, typing it in, deleting it did not work either), so there was no way
> to interpolate the z-coordinate.

I also don't see it. Seems to disappear somewhere. in the
Tcl GUI it's present.
I think that there is a bug for all parameters not having
guisection defined. They should go into the "Optional" tab
but they don't (they disappear apparently).

>I think that the layer number should be under
> input tab (required) - it is in fact required or you will end up
> interpolating cats.

Then we have to make it required in main.c
The wx GUI is generated from what's defined there.

> I would put column name there too, it is required for default layer 1,
> otherwise cats
> are interpolated. I do not find these defaults convenient but this was the
> consensus by others when s.surf.rst was updated to v.surf.rst.

Again, it depends on parm->guisection...

> Otherwise the new GUI is really, really nice - I hope we will be able to
> switch to it for the fall 2009 classes.
>
> Helena
>
> P.S. Any chance for changing default layer to 0 at least in grass7,
> to make it possible to run just v.surf.rst mypoints elev=myelev  ?

Why not - in 7 we are allowed to change the defaults.
Just submit the change (please also check the html docs for update).

> Without defining layer, it is set to 1 and category number is interpolated
> by default if column is not defined - particularly unpleasant surprise
> after running a longer computation. Layer number and column name can then be
> under optional. I can make the change in grass7 if there are no objections
> to see whether it will cause any problems.

I don't see problems.

> P.P.S. Any chance for getting winGRASS under Express install in OSGeo4W?
> Our IT did not think the current OSGeo4W design was very good for installing
> GRASS.

It will go into Express install in OSGeo4W once we have a successful run
with the new GUI. Currently we are in a deadlock: the actual packager
doesn't want to prepare candidates any more before the final release and
we won't do the final release before a successful candidate...
We do need to find someone who packages winGRASS for OSGeo4W.

> On the other hand, Marco's installer for GRASS6.3 has been a great success
> here.

Yes - unfortunately he doesn't seem to continue. Volunteer needed...

Markus