[GRASS-dev] database driver errors from wish tcltk gui on mac

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Mar 10 00:38:13 EDT 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 9:19 PM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:12:07 -0700
> From: Ken Nussear <knussear at mac.com>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] database driver errors from wish tcltk gui on mac
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Hi
>
> I'm on Mac OSX 10.5.6 using Grass 6.4 RC3. I'm using the WISH TclTk
> GUI using ActiveTcl 8.5 from ActiveState.
>
> I'm having driver errors when accessing vector attribute information
> via the GUI, but not from the command line
>
> For example- using spearfish
> Adding a vector to the map
> Selected buglist from the list of vectors
> Clicked the "Show Attribute Table" button in the lower panel of the
> GRASS GIS Manager window
>
> Got this error in the output
>
> db.select table=bugsites database=/Users/knussear/Documents/Research/
> GIS/grassdata/spearfish60/PERMANENT/dbf/ driver=dbf
>
> Bad file descriptor: dup r
> dbmi: Protocol error
> Unable to start driver <dbf>
>

> I copied the same line and pasted it in the terminal
>
> db.select table=bugsites database=/Users/knussear/Documents/Research/
> GIS/grassdata/spearfish60/PERMANENT/dbf/ driver=dbf
> cat|str1
> 1|Beetle site
> 2|Beetle site
> 3|Beetle site
> 4|Beetle site
> 5|Beetle site
> 6|Beetle site
> 7|Beetle site
> 8|Beetle site
> 9|Beetle site
> 10|Beetle site
> 11|Beetle site
> 12|Beetle site
> 13|Beetle site
> 14|Beetle site
> ..... and more rows
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks

Ken,

I just tried this with GRASS 6.5 svn, which has an identical TclTk GUI
as the release branch currently. I added bugsites to the layer manager
and clicked show attribute data and it shows the same information as
you get in the terminal.

Perhaps, there is some problem with db.select that has been fixed
after 6.4rc3.

Michael