[GRASS-dev] v.type.sh question - important for 6.4 release

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Mar 12 12:41:48 EDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>>> The way that we normally make shell scripts work on Windows is to
>>> provide a .bat file which explicitly invokes the script via
>>> $GRASS_SH.
>>>
>>> On Windows, the $GISBASE/bin directory will contain a .bat file for
>>> each script in the $GISBASE/scripts directory. These are created
>>> using
>>> the scripts/windows_launch.bat file as a template.
>>>
>>> It may suffice to add $GISBASE/etc/gui/scripts/v.type.sh.bat. If
>>> that
>>> doesn't work, add an "if windows ..." case to gis.m's "execute"
>>> function, which invokes the script via $env(GRASS_SH).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
>>
>> This sounds good. Two questions.
>>
>> 1) How can we get the *.bat files to be generated for files in the
>> $GISBASE/ext/gui/scripts folder?
>
> For the scripts in the scripts directory, this is done via the
> following rule from Script.make:
>
> $(BIN)/$(PGM).bat: $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/scripts/windows_launch.bat
> 	sed -e "s#SCRIPT_NAME#$(PGM)#" $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/scripts/
> windows_launch.bat > $@
>
> For the gui/scripts, the above rule can be generalised to a pattern
> rule:
>
> $(GISBASE)/etc/gui/scripts/%.bat: $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/scripts/
> windows_launch.bat
> 	sed -e "s#SCRIPT_NAME#$*#" $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/scripts/
> windows_launch.bat > $@
>
> You then need to "make" the relevant .bat files with e.g.:
>
> 	for file in *.* ; do $(MAKE) $(GISBASE)/etc/gui/scripts/$
> $file.bat ; done
>
>> 2) Can v.type.sh.bat be called by just specifying v.type.sh? Or do
>> you
>> need to fully specify the *.bat extension?
>
> Just using the base name seems to work for everything else, although I
> can't exclude the possibility that Tcl behaves differently depending
> upon whether a full path is used (it's actually Tcl which tries the
> .exe and .bat suffixes; it doesn't use Windows' ShellExecute()).
>
> --

If someone who knows the build system well can make the changes Glynn
recommended to Script.make, we can test to see if that does the trick.
If not, I can change try to conditionalize the TclTk call for windows
to find v.type.sh.bat.

(related question, is such a name permitted for Windows XP and Vista?)

Michael