[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-windows] windows qgis-grass: make grass build with vc or keep a separate qgis-grass mingw build?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 05:30:29 EDT 2009

> I am not aware of any postings in this regard from Marco.
> Please point us to that to better understand the issues he found.

I've just asked him if he can partecipate to the discussion to explain this...

> Question: Did you try to update the installer from Marco? Maybe
> it works out of the box with a few minor tweaks? It is in the
> mswindows/ directory in the source code.

No problems with mingw build. I've already built grass6_devel from
scratch, and it almost works (better then the one I've built against
osgeo4w libs):

 1 - wxdigit and wxnviz don't work, but I know that Martin is working
on this right now
 2 - Marco told me that there soudl be made some changes to update the
build system. I still have to dig in this, but there are reasons to
hope that Marco, maybe, will find some time to work on this...
 3 -qgis bindings. With osgeo4w, on windows Vista, qgis crashes
whatever you try to do with the plugin: db.exe returns and makes Qgis
crash. I don't know yet if it's the same problem with memory
management or what else.

 In any case the questions remain:

 1 -  continue to build grass with MingW?
      1a: build it against MinGW built libs (not osgeo4w)?
      1b: build it against vc built libs (osgeo4w)?

2 - build Qgis with vc (osgeo4w) and solve the bindings problems with
Grass: 1a or 1b?