[GRASS-dev] New winGrass release

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 06:31:00 EDT 2009

Colin wrote:
> I have posted an updated winGrass based on releasebranch_6_4.

Install went well. As a general rule, should we uninstall earlier
versions first? (I removed rc4 but left osgeo4w)
Can there be a checkbox for "add icons to desktop"?
Can a download size be added to the Spearfish/NC dataset checkboxes?

> Among others, updates includes:

Raw "M" MSys console now starts up ok.
 - I notice PATH starts with ".:" and ends with ":.", both probably
    not wanted. Within GRASS-Msys the PATH also ends in ":."
 - "grass64", "gdalinfo", "gpsbabel" etc. are not recognized.
    Can "${/C/GRASS-6-SVN}/bin/ and extrabin/ be added to the path, or
    symlinked into /usr/local/bin? (which is in the PATH but doesn't
    exist)

> * fixed location wizard

not tested yet.

> * bat startup window is minimized (can't hide it sorry)

actually I prefer it to be minimized and not totally hidden.
then you have a chance to see any error messages which end
up there. One day when WinGRASS is very robust it might be
ok to do that, but for now we need all the debugging hints
we can get. FWIW the QGIS 1.0.1 from OSGeo4W installer flashes
up a DOS box but then removes/hides it.

How to tell MSWin to group 3 similar programs together on the
taskbar and not wait until 4? (ah, there it is in the TweakUI
PowerToy) but Windows doesn't think that the DOS window is
similar to the Python windows so it doesn't group them :(

> Please post any problems.

NVIZ (Tcl/Tk) won't start from the wxgui or wxgui command prompt.
it just instantly returns.

from the grass-msys terminal "nviz elevation.dem color=spot.image"
starts & works well (spearfish). Can NVIZ be hinted to start up
maximized there? There are some rendering nasties there but
I'll blame that on the laptop.

starting "GRASS msys" puts you in the C:/GRASS-6-SVN/msys/home/Username
dir, while regular GUI "GRASS" puts you into C:\...\Documents and Settings\
Username\ ... the msys home dir may be confusing to folks. (two .grassrc6
files etc) Should grass-msys use the main home dir instead?

'g.gui' does not work from the grass-msys prompt. but 'gis.m' does.
Although in gis.m I can't add a raster map from PERMANENT using the
mapset selector. it shows up on the list of mapsets but will not
open. g.list works find from the command line, and if I type in
the mapname (without @PERM) in the raster layer box it displays it ok.

'python $GISBASE/etc/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py' works to launch the
wxPy gui from the grass-msys prompt. I can display maps ok in that
wxGui, but asking for 3D mode gives this error in the layer
manager output tab:
---
[...]
if self.parent.nvizToolWin:
AttributeError
:
'MapFrame' object has not attribute 'nvizToolWin'.
---

then I can't exit the map display which means I have to kill the
process from ctrl-alt-del.

Hamish