[GRASS-dev] Problem v.in.ascii (GRASS6.4.0RC4)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 07:18:56 EDT 2009

roberto:
> Ok, without white space the command run correctly.
> Grass 6.4 and 6.5 "don't like" white space in a character string.

(not if the fs= is also a whitespace... how will it know the difference?

notes:
If you like you can do 'fs=space' or 'fs=tab' as well.

G_strip() is not used to strip away trailing whitespace to allow the right-
most column to be NULL for some rows of data. If it were stripped you
would have a differing number of columns for that row than the rest and
the computer just can't guess what that means. Same if one row somewhere
has some extra fs's in it.

v.in.ascii works in two steps. The first scans for type, parses, and
cleanses the data, the second step imports the cleaned version.

if it segfaults it means we are missing something in the cleansing step.

Hamish