[GRASS-dev] grass python module

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri May 8 16:52:25 EDT 2009

Martin Landa wrote:

> I would suggest splitting grass.py into several modules, e.g.
>
> general
> raster
> vector
> database
>
> User could import only desired modules from 'grass' package, e.g.
>
> from grass import raster

This would be a good point to consider how it relates to the SWIG
interface.

Currently, those modules are named swig.grass, swig.vector, etc. That
was done to avoid a collision over "import grass". But "swig" is a
rather generic prefix to use. I had thought about changing it from
"swig.*" to "grass.*", and renaming "grass" to e.g. "grass.script".

The question is whether e.g. "grass.vector" should contain the
functions from grass.py or the SWIG functions for the vector library.
IOW, which one gets precedence? Or should we make them equal and just
have grass.script.vector and grass.swig.vector?

And should "swig" even be visible, or should it be e.g.
"grass.lib.vector"?