[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #570: startup problem with standalone GRASS install

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat May 9 10:10:05 EDT 2009

> Martin Landa wrote:
> > wx-config is not part of the OSGeo4w wxPython package.
> > Probably you need to compile your own wxPython using mingw.
> > Also python-config is missing. Question: do we need python-
> >config? wxGUI extensions are build using setup.py. So --with-
> >python could check only if 'python' binaries are available
> > (?)
Glynn:
> Okay, I'm going to hold off doing anything regarding
> Windows until that gets sorted out.

(if you guys haven't already read jef's input from that osgeo4w
bug report it may be useful..)

> Ultimately, one of the biggest problems facing the Windows
> version is that it's *still* a major hassle to compile GRASS
> on Windows.
>
> Anyone interested in having GRASS work well on Windows would
> be well advised to spend less time worrying about end users,
> and spend more time making life easy for developers.

my hope was to patch up few remaining issues so we can ship a
fully featued 6.4.0 out the door now, and make it pretty later.
as the core 6.4 is quite well tested now most wingrass user
issues tend to stem from build issues, so hopefully working
from both ends complement each other.

> Otherwise, we're going to remain stuck in the situation
> where, at any given time, at most one person has the ability
> to compile GRASS on Windows, that one person spends their time
> focusing on end users, but they eventually get fed up and
> quit because they're having to do it all themselves.

no arguement there.

Hamish