[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #594: wx GUI won't start (Mac OS X 10.5.6) / Python 2.6 / wxWidgets 2.8.10 / wxWidget 2.8.9.2

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Sun May 10 12:23:50 EDT 2009

#594: wx GUI won't start (Mac OS X 10.5.6) / Python 2.6 / wxWidgets 2.8.10 /
wxWidget 2.8.9.2
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  vince                |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
     Type:  defect               |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  x86-64               |
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
 There are several issues at stake when building Grass on MacOS, especially
 when the scope is to generated a universal build.

 1. wxwidgets and so Wxpython are not universal, but 32-bit only (wxwidgets
 depends on Carbon and Quicktime APIs, which are 32-bit only. This is going
 to change anytime soon, but it is not yet done). A configure option should
 be added to purposely choose the correct version of python (mixing 64-bit
 Python with 32-bit wxpython results in a clash).

 2. The GUI does not work. I get this message:

 {{{
 -> grass64 -wx
 Cleaning up temporary files ...
 Starting GRASS ...
 This program needs access to the screen.
 Please run with 'pythonw', not 'python', and only when you are logged
 in on the main display of your Mac.
 Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please
 Switching to text mode now.
 Hit RETURN to continue...
 }}}

 I specify that I use the macports environnement (I'm porting Grass 6.4 to
 it).

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/594>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>