[GRASS-dev] single vs. multiple sqlite db files [was v.db.calc]

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Mon May 11 16:59:49 EDT 2009

On Monday 11 May 2009, C Michael Barton wrote:
> Hi Dylan,
>
> Thanks for your input on the types of joins you do. This is very useful.
>
> On 5/11/09 11:03 AM, "Dylan Beaudette" <debeaudette at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> > Note that one database per vector file, as we now have with the more
> > limited dbf format, does not preclude joins, views, schemas, etc.
>
> That may be true, but what mechanism is 'doing' the joining? I realize that
> with the DBF interface all 'SQL-like' operations are somewhat of an
> abomination, but with something like SQLite at least we know that a robust
> system can deal with most of the SQL thrown at it. This is especially
> important when trying to work with subqueries or LEFT joins. I am not sure
> how these operations would be possible between different (SQLite) database
> files. This could be due to my limited experience with SQLite...
>
> You can have multiple tables in an SQLite database. These are simply
> imported or created. So joins would be possible between any table in the
> database. The question is whether to have one SQLite database (with one or
> more tables, depending on one's need) for each vector file OR to have a
> single SQLite for ALL vector files in a mapset.
>
> The latter has the greatest possibility of making any kind of join between
> any table used with any vector file in a mapset. However, it breaks the
> portability we now have with respect to vectors in which you can grab the
> vector folder from the mapset and copy/move/send it to any other equivalent
> location with all parts intact (vector GIS files, indexes,  and attribute
> tables).
>
> So the issue is whether the ability to make any kind of join between any
> table within a mapset (does not apply to between mapset joins as proposed
> currently) is more important than maintaining easy vector portability OR is
> portability more important than making joins between the tables of
> different vectors within a mapset? I think that all feel that the ability
> to switch back and forth between these organizational principles is
> probably needed. So it comes down to which is the default. I'd argue that
> the 2nd is probably more useful for more people, but this is purely
> anecdotal. Perhaps the way I work with GIS is actually atypical. So it is
> good to hear from people like you who work with attribute tables a lot.
>
> Michael

Sure. As long as there is a documented approach to adjusting this behavior. I
think that apart from joins, the table / file locking issue may be more
important... If a long-running process is causing the mapset-wide SQLite db
to be locked, then vector-specific database files would make more sense.

Interesting stuff!

Cheers,
Dylan

--