[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r37087 - in grass/trunk/gui: scripts wxpython/scripts

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 04:00:50 EDT 2009

Glynn wrote:
> > Nothing should need the .bat wrapper once Tcl/Tk is dropped.

the wxNviz (rename?) is coming along nicely* but it is still quite far
from reaching feature parity with nviz2.2, so it would be nice if
support for tcl/tk nviz stuck around for a while. AFAIK that doesn't use
any of the lib/form or lib/gtcltk/ stuff so would just be another
optional build dep & module. and not pollute the rest of the code.

[*] mini bug report: up/down arrows don't work to adjust z-exag etc. in
wxNviz

ok; after another commit I think that's in a good place now.

but do we still need to tell Windows what to do with the .py files once
it finds them in the PATH? e.g. also put this somewhere:
   set .py=%GRASS_PYTHON%

or are ftype, assoc, and possibly even registry keys needed?
  see
http://www.deadlybloodyserious.com/2007/05/no-script-arguments/
http://www.jpsoft.com/help/index.htm?exeext.htm

a web search finds:
=================================
assoc .py=Python.File
ftype Python.File="c:\Apps\Python24\python.exe" "%1" "%*"
assoc .pyw=Python.NoConFile
ftype Python.NoConFile="c:\Apps\Python24\pythonw.exe" "%1" "%*"

Substitute your own Python path.

The Python .msi installer DOES do this, if you let it do its default thing.
You should check whether these are already set up, by doing this:

assoc .py
--
- Tim Roberts,

e.g. some time ago before python was installed*, I had manually
associated .py files with Notepad++.  [*]we probably can't count on
all python.exe installers to associate .py files with it, and even if
it does, for users not to modify that association to something else.

Hamish