[GRASS-dev] single vs. multiple sqlite db files [was v.db.calc]

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 03:58:49 EDT 2009

Moritz wrote:
> I would plead for solid modules allowing to export and
> import GRASS data between GRASS installations (e.g.
> something like the r.pack/r.unpack modules). IMHO, moving
> around data should not depend on the location of the
> database or the choice of database backend (i.e. how do you
> handle above export with a PostgreSQL backend ?). We need to
> povide a mecanism which allows users to do that while
> respecting the unwritten law that they should not have to do
> anything at all inside their GISDBASE.

it should not be hard to extract a single map's data from a DB as part
of any v.pack/v.unpack script. Just temporarily change the DB settings
before running 'g.copy vect=$INPUT,$TEMP_MAP', then restore the DB settings
to their original. Probably for PostgreSQL etc you want to temporarily
change to sqlite anyway as part of the packing procedure to ensure that
the data is portable? (???)

just an idea, but for the decision I think the v.pack reason should not
be a blocker.

Hamish