[GRASS-dev] Change in parser behavior?

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Tue May 19 18:51:07 EDT 2009

Glynn, we tested it from both guis as well as from the command line. Same
issue every time. Those variables are not getting read in at all.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>wrote:

> C Michael Barton wrote:
>
> > We've just encountered a strange change in the way the GRASS parser
> > interacts with BASH. It's not clear whether it's the parser, BASH, or
> > something else.
> >
> > Previoiusly, if a GUI field was described as
> >
> > #% type: string
> >
> > ...whatever was entered was treated as a string, whether the entry was
> > an alphabetic character string ("mymap") or a numeral ("50"). When the
> > field was read, its value could be stored in a variable and then used.
> > So entering 50 in an entry field defined as string would produce "50"
> > when parsed.
> >
> > Now, this doesn't seem to be the behavior of the parser and/or BASH.
> > If 50 or "50" is entered into a field defined as #% type: string, it
> > is ignored and the value of the parsed variable is empty, OR if there
> > is a default value the default is used-even if the default value is
> > numeric. So for the following entry from a BASH script..
> >
> > #%option
> > #% key: myfield
> > #% type: string
> > #% required : yes
> >
> > ...if 50 is entered, $GIS_OPT_MYFIELD is empty
> >
> > If there is a default, as below...
> >
> > #%option
> > #% key: myfield
> > #% type: string
> > #% required : yes
> > #% answer : 1.5
> >
> > ... and 50 is entered, $GIS_OPT_MYFIELD is 1.5
> >
> > I have not yet tested this on the Mac, but it is showing up in GRASS
> > 6.5 (of a couple weeks back) in Ubuntu ver. 9.
> >
> > Has anyone else encountered this?
>
> I can't see any changes to lib/gis/parser.c or general/g.parser which
> could have caused this.
>
> Are you testing this from the command line, or via one of the GUIs?
>
> --

Isaac I Ullah, M.A.

Archaeology PhD Student,
ASU School of Evolution and Social Change

Research Assistant,
Mediterranean Landscape Dynamics Project
isaac.ullah at asu.edu
ullah at archaeologist.com

http://www.public.asu.edu/~iullah