[GRASS-dev] Re: ps.output in grass-addons

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 03:40:43 EDT 2009

Jorge wrote:
> Today I send to repository grass-addons a new program to
> draw maps in postscript-3. The program is similar to ps.map
> but I prefer no overlap this standard package until ps.output
> work fine (or never).

wow, it's much more of a rewrite than I had expected.

> - draw (including rose) in a specific command

rose?

> > so instead of automatically removing it gives you the option?
>
> Grid command has a round option equivalent to the number of
> trailing-zero to cut, but don't cut if there is a minor number
> of zeros (the work as in ps.map). For example,
>
> major 50000 and round 3 -> draw a grid with numbers 4700 4750 4800 ...
> but
> major 50000 and round 7 -> draw 470 475 480 ...

what they print on the topo maps here is like the top example here:
  http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/grass/dev/coord.html

ie kilometers(pos5,4) are 2 font sizes larger, meters(pos3,2,1) are
smaller, and >99 km are small too.

I think it's a nice system, at a glance you can pick out the numbers,
and there is no mental math to add back some number of missing 0s.

> > ideas!
>
> I'm blocked with the IHO text numbers (ps.output don't draw). In the
> horizontal lines could be 4750/000 (metres below) or 4ºN/23.23' (minutes
> below) but how can I draw in vertical lines? Any idea?

extend grid lines outward past the map border (ensure perpendicular for
geogrid?) and use that as the dividing line?

or use the pipe '|' symbol as a text object in some standard font?

The xref,yref from ps.map's "labels" command should show how to justify
and offset text items.

Hamish