[GRASS-dev] any idea about these python libraries?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun May 31 11:42:20 EDT 2009

On May 31, 2009, at 3:51 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> I found that wx nviz and vdigit *did* link the wx libraries - a
>> reversion in the switch to setup.py that I missed.  Fixed now in SVN.
>
> Code which calls wx functions directly *should* be explicitly linking
> against the wx libraries.
>
> Even if you can rely upon wx having been loaded by wxPython, there are
> other issues, e.g. Gentoo's revdep-rebuild relies upon "ldd" output
> for dependency tracking, and won't be able to detect that these files
> need to be re-built if wx is updated unless they are explicitly linked
> against the wx libraries.

Do nviz and vdigit use wx libraries directly? (as opposed to wxpython
modules)

If so, then due to the way the wxpython packagers build the libraries,
a GRASS build would be tied to an exact version of wxpython.  This
makes it difficult to distribute GRASS binaries where the user is
required to download an exact version of wxpython, and they decide to
update later.  Or even with a make install'd GRASS, if you update
wxpython, even a minor point update, it'll break the GRASS GUI unless
you remember to rebuild GRASS.

I made it possible to bundle wxpython in the GRASS app package for a
distribution, so the user doesn't have to worry about downloading any
wxpython.  I guess this would help the exact version linking problem
also.  Maybe I should move the bundle step to the install target as
well...

Michael, Agustin - my current 6.4RC4 installer uses a bundled
wxpython.  Does vdigit there work for you?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy