[GRASS-dev] error generate

Mohammed Rashad rashadkm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 14:17:55 EST 2009

This tool provide a support for GRASS GIS as a utility installed with GRASS
GIS.
I planned to develop in python for portability and send mail from python to
grass-dev list is not a big problem.
A broken python installation is a serious issue. For that we need further
discussion. But that this can report errors from the grass if there is no
failures in python installation. For windows we don't need msys if we deal
with python.

Apart from sending mail to grass-dev or grass-user, this creates a report
which will help to find the correct error in the modules, not the error
program or such thing. It can find which module is broken, grass version, if
the problem is due to older version of support library. etc..

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>wrote:

> Mohammed Rashad wrote:
>
> > what about  having an automatic error report tool in grass gis.
> > which can send mail to grass-dev mailinglist with some details of the os,
> > grass version etc.. generated by error reporting tool
> > so that users need only to specify error description.
> > Many problems can be cleared such  using an older library version, etc...
>
> Figuring out how to send mail from a program or script isn't
> straightforward. Generating a standardised report which the user can
> attach is more realistic.
>
> OTOH, a lot of the problems which affect GRASS as a whole would also
> affect any error-reporting tool. E.g. if the tool is written in
> Python, a broken Python installation would prevent the tool from
> working; likewise for a shell script needing a working MSys
> installation on Windows.
>
> --

Regards,
Mohammed Rashad K.M