[GRASS-dev] Need ideas for a masters thesis...

roberto.marzocchi roberto.marzocchi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 05:39:29 EST 2009

About the interaction of GRASS and HEC-RAS we have developed a grass script
named r.inund.fluv,
that interpolate the results of a normal 1D river model and allows to obtain
a 2D flooding maps.
It works quite well and you can see documentation on the add-on web page
(http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#r.inund.fluv)

The idea is quite different to that of Thomas, that describe a tool similar
to HecGeo-Ras that works with proprietary softwares. However also two
similar GRASS tools have been developed by Piergiorgio Chiraz & Andrea Ricci
. I don't know exactly where and how are available and I found only italian
documentations, but you can ask directly to the authors.

I think that the implementation of 2D model in GRASS is more complicated,
but a good idea! We try it with a dam break flooding model 2d that we are
developing at Institute of Earth science and will be available in the next
weeks (http://istgeo.ist.supsi.ch/site/projects/dambreak).

Good luck and at your disposal for any questions!

Roberto