[GRASS-dev] grass/wx 6.4 problems on Debian sid.

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Oct 7 21:13:46 EDT 2009

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> > > swig 1.3.39 instead of 1.3.36
> > > wxpython 2.8.7 instead of 2.8.10
> > >
> > > I suspect the main problem is swig, due to past experiences. What are
> > > the reference versions suggested currently? I would suggest to
> > > distribute swig generated stuff by default and allowing re-building
> > > on demand. That solved various swig-related problems in the past.
> >
> > yes, downgrade to swig 1.3.36 helps. I hope to have more time to dig
> > into the problem.
>
> Yep, indeed it works with current testing swig. And it also fixes the problem
> issued for 3d view by other users. As said, it would be a good idea adding
> known working swig stuff to the source tarball, as gdal does. It is almost
> impossible having the same swig version installed on all systems and swig
> is a know source of problems...

The other option is to abandon SWIG in favour of Python's ctypes
module. This is more work, but it's also more flexible, and will
produce a better result in the end.

It may even be possible to automate the wrapper generation. While this
won't be perfect, neither is SWIG; any automatic approach has the
problem that a C prototype doesn't contain enough information.