[GRASS-dev] Re: grass-dev Digest, Vol 42, Issue 42

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Oct 16 12:47:45 EDT 2009

On Oct 16, 2009, at 7:33 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:08:48 +0200
> From: Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] wxGUI: "Save display to graphic file" and
>        d.out.file      options
> To: Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>
> Cc: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> 2009/10/16 Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>:
>> resolution and such. Since d.out.file already generates wxpython code
>> could it be recycled in the GUI? (d.out.file fails and wants an X
>> monitor).
>
> is there any reason why d.out.file requires X monitors? It would be
> cool to have d.out.file also in GRASS7.
>
> Martin

d.out.file started it's life as d.out.png, a script I wrote to create
a graphics file from a GRASS screen display, way back in the early
days of GRASS 5. It uses the command history function that requires an
xmon to recreate the command sequence that produces the graphic
display with the output set to PNG instead of an xmon. This does not
work in the TclTk GUI or in wxPython because of the xmon requirement.

To make this work, it would need to be rewritten inside the GUI where
it could capture the sequence of display commands from the rendering
module and redirect them to a named graphic file instead of the
internal PNM file that is displayed in the canvas. In that code, you
could alter the output resolution by changing GRASS environmental
variables to something other than screen resolution.

This is not an extremely difficult task, and I'd support putting it
into the GRASS 7 queue as a desirable enhancement.

Michael