[GRASS-dev] problems with datum parameters tables

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Oct 16 13:24:59 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:

> > After selecting the projection in the wizard, you go to a
> > new page. Currently, if the projection is UTM, you get to
> > select zone and hemisphere. If it is not UTM, you don't get
> > to select any parameters. The UTM selection is hard wired
> > into the GUI.
> >
> > I'm changing this so that the the parameters parsed from
> > proj-parms.table appear for whatever projection is
> > chosen--UTM or otherwise.
>
> LL, UTM, and STP are not real projections so hardwiring them
> as exceptions wouldn't be cause for alarm; but ok, if a single
> method does the trick then no complaints from me...

In particular, I would suspect that using PROJECTION_OTHER for a UTM
projection may confuse either GRASS or the user. E.g. there are many
places where PROJECTION_UTM causes cellhd.zone to become relevant.

OTOH, we might want to consider changing this. There isn't anything
inherently special about UTM; it's not like switching zones is any
different to other projection changes.

Really, there only needs to be 3 PROJECTION_* options: XY, LL and
OTHER. UTM and STP should ultimately be assimilated into OTHER.