[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Re: nc_spm_08 - 'cat' double

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 18 08:47:35 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
>> in GRASS 7 we can support as key column also non-integer
>> columns,
>>

> "just because we can, doesn't mean we should" ...

+1

The key column is used to link attributes to vector features through the
category number assigned to vector features. Category numbers are stored
both in the coor and in the cidx file as integer, changing that would
break forward/backward compatibility completely. Unless there are huge
advantages of cat values being double instead of integer, I would
suggest not to rewrite substantial parts of the vector libs and many
vector modules in order to support cat values as double (or char* or
whatever).

Markus M