[GRASS-dev] RC5 on Mac OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Sep 1 11:04:56 EDT 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:42 AM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:

>> Note that I am able to start nviz by issuing the command in the
>> terminal. The GUI loads, but my dem is not drawn when I hit "DRAW"
>> - it is just blank.
>
> Wow - how embarrassing! I did not have the region set right. So
> niviz is in-fact working for me.
>
> Which leads me to the question, how is launching it from the GUI
> (selecting 3D view) different than from the command line?
>
> Sorry for my monothread!

nviz from the terminal is opening the TclTk NVIZ.  In the Python GUI
it's the wxPython NVIZ.

>> Are you using a wxpython binary install or your own compiled
>> version?  I have not seen libwx_base_* as a normal OSX prefix for
>> wx libraries, they're usually libwx_macud_*.
>
> I looked at the instructions a bit better, and noticed that they
> recommend to use the "--enable-monolithic" flag on Mac OS X which
> creates the libraries that you are accustomed to.
>
> But after making sure the old libs were deleted and rebuilding GRASS
> I still get the same exact errors.

So, you're saying that you did compile your own wxPython?  But then
you rebuilt with the monolithic option?  Did you then distclean GRASS
before recompiling it?

3 things to try:

- make sure you have /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/wxredirect.pth,
maybe your wxpython build didn't install this for some reason.  and
make sure that you don't have any older wxpython junk in your site-
packages.

- the system wxpython meets the minimum requirements.  Try deleting
your wxpython and reconfiguring GRASS to use the system wxPython.

- try installing the latest wxPython binaries from the wxpython site,
instead of compiling your own.

>> You could try forcing the Python you want by setting GRASS_PYTHON
>> in your shell init, or in grass.sh.
>
> I only have one copy of Python installed on this machine - the
> version that ships with Mac OS X. Would I set it to that?

No need to set it then.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin