[GRASS-dev] wxGUI Help

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Sep 4 11:32:44 EDT 2009

Helena,

For the past couple years, I've been so tied up in projects and
administration that Martin has had to shoulder the very large load of
GUI development and maintenance alone. My admin responsibilities
changed this summer and it looks like I'll begin to have a little more
time to make some contributions to GRASS again. I'm happy to help you
with this as a way to get back into GRASS.

Thanks for doing this. As Martin says, it is pretty much a port of the
help file I did for the TclTk GUI a couple years back. So it needs to
be updated to match the new configurations and new tools.

I'd agree about dropping the silk icon set. That was a test and IMHO
has been replaced by the nice, new grass2 set. I'd keep the old
"classic" set because at least some people tell me they prefer them.
Also, it keeps the mechanism to add new sets should someone become
industrious and artistic.

I like the idea of showing the preset color tables. Probably they go
best in the r.colors help page, it seems to me. Note that there is a
new color table creation tool that works on both rasters and vectors.

I have not written a wxpython version of xganim, like I did with
TclTk. Glynn (I think) did a standalone wxpython animator. But I
remember some issues with it, maybe platform related, but it does
exist. Wxpython makes it easier to craft an upgraded replacement for
xganim in the new GUI. There are a couple of other modules that still
need replacing (I forget what they are, but there is a list somewhere).

If we could get someone interested in adding a few features and
regularizing others in the vector query modules, as I suggested awhile
back (it's on the Wiki), it would be relatively easy to have quite
sophisticated interactive vector querying. As it is now, it's doable
but something of a pain.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are exploring the new GUI. I think it is a
nice improvement over the TclTk one since wxpython gave us a chance to
start from scratch. I'll be in touch over some other things soon.

Best
Michael