[GRASS-dev] some impressions on the wx interface

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Sep 12 13:16:54 EDT 2009

>>> Given that wxGUI is completely new and minimally tested by broader
>>> users community it is quite amazing how robust it is and I would
>>> vote
>>> for releasing it as a default GUI for both Mac and linux, as it is
>>> now for winGRASS. It may be worth to spend some time on polishing
>>> it for GRASS64 final release, rather than having to maintain two
>>> GUIs
>>
>> I agree.
>
> I am not sure if we can do such major change in this stage (after 5
> rcs and probably few weeks before final release). It would require
> other RC - in this case I would vote against. I would be happy to see
> 6.4.0 out even with TCL/TK as default, but soon. We can choose wxGUI
> as default in 6.5 (which should be out quite soon).

Martin - I am not suggesting any major change here, I was suggesting two
things:

- given that wxGUI is already default in winGRASS, why wait for 6.5
for Mac and Linux?
   It should not delay 6.4 release. We could also go back to TclTk
with WinGRASS
   to keep consistency in binaries, but I am not sure it is a good
idea to do a major release
with default GUI that is not being maintained any more.

- by polishing wxGUI I meant what we are doing right now - fixing
help page,
fix any bugs or weird behaviors that show up
during testing and perhaps make minimal changes to icons or
descriptions,
such as the "Add overlay" issue. There may be more issues like this
in TclTK GUI
than wxGUI, but there is nobody is going to fix those.

Helena