[GRASS-dev] Re: bundling wxpython - solves 6.4 digitizer problem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Sep 21 19:03:25 EDT 2009

All Macs should have a /Library/Python.  At least as far back as 10.4
Tiger.  There are version sub-folders for each python installed in the
system.  If it is missing completely on your MacBook, you may have
accidentally deleted it.

So, maybe you are building with the latest wxpython and the system
Python, but then at runtime the python.org Python in /Library/
Frameworks is run somehow with the other wxpython.  Or some such mixup
somewhere.

Copying /Library/Python from the iMac should be OK as long as they're
both the same system, though you may want to reinstall python
extensions like wxpython just to make sure they have all the support
bits they need.

On Sep 21, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> OK. This proved to be the big clue.
>
> Looking at my MacBook, I've got a python 2.5 distribution in /
> Library/Frameworks/Python.frameworks.
>
> It does not have a /Library/Python
>
> My newer iMac is as you describe it with only /Library/Python/2.5/
> site-packages. It does NOT have a /Library/Frameworks/
> Python.frameworks.
>
> In spite of my attempts to get rid of it, it looks like I still have
> a remnant MacPython distribution on my MacBook, although it is not
> in my PythonPath. But it does have a wxPython in it.
>
> I guess I need to copy /Library/Python from my iMac to my MacBook
> and delete /Library/Frameworks/Python.frameworks from my MacBook.
> Correct?
>
> Michael
> ______________________________
> C. Michael Barton
> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
> USA
>
> voice: 	480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671
> www: 	http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
> 		http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton
>
> On Sep 21, 2009, at 3:29 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> I think we're converging on understanding what the other means ;)
>>
>> For that wxredirect.pth file, that should be in /Library/Python/2.5/
>> site-packages.  No other wx files or folders whould be there, all as
>> you say in /usr/local/lib/wxpython-unicode-[version].

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy