[GRASS-dev] default GUI

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 02:00:36 EDT 2009

Hi,

2009/9/22 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>:

[...]

> What's the timescale for a 6.4.0 release? Is there enough time to
> decouple the wx vdigit and nviz modules into separate programs? That
> would eliminate the most likely source of major problems.

I don't think that there is enough time to do that. First 6.4.0 RC
12/2008, the last (RC5) 7/2009, now we have end of September - it's
seems to me as very very long time for RC stage. I was hoping that we
could release 6.4.0 in April 2009 , then in June, ... and now in
October. To have one year for RCs seems to me as too unacceptable
time... I would be happy to see 6.4.0 out and discuss if we would be
able to change release politics (releases more often, less RCs, etc.)

Initially I was not thinking about wxGUI as default for 6.4.0. Few
days ago some of devs/users started speaking about that. That's not up
me to decide, I cannot compare stability/usability of wxGUI versus
TCL/TK GUI. One of problem of the wxGUI are extensions which are not
separated from the main program (e.g. local copy of PseudoDC is used
when vector digitizer is available otherwise PseudoDC from wxPython is
used which can cause problems sometimes, etc.).

Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa