[GRASS-dev] OpenCL Parallelization

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at openosx.com
Thu Sep 24 13:43:17 EDT 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> Other than those 2 points, I would love to see GPU-based
> acceleration in
> GRASS.

Hi Dylan,

I can't comment you two very valid observations, I don't know anything
more about it than what was presented in the video.

> A thread from last year on this topic:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/grass-dev@lists.osgeo.org/msg01925.html
>
> Hopefully things have improved since then!

It looks like it to me, I think OpenCL improves the situation, and
indeed GPUs have gotten faster.

Imagine what this 2.72 terraflops card could do with OpenCL enabled:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/09/23/ati.radeon.hd.5800.official/

<grin>

It has GDDR5 memory with 150Gbps bandwidth!

Best,

Jeshua Lacock, Owner
<http://OpenOSX.com>
phone: 208.462.4171