[GRASS-dev] what's going on in r39326

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Sep 30 17:58:10 EDT 2009

Maris Nartiss wrote:

> I hope now You understand how insignificant this change is, as
> "normal" users don't play around with their file browsers.

Actually, it's quite fundamental. The split between the grassXX script
and Init.sh is quite deliberate; the grassXX script sets GISBASE then
invokes Init.sh, and that's all it does. Everything which can go into
Init.sh does so.

Obviously, setting GISBASE can't go into Init.sh, because $GISBASE is
needed to locate Init.sh. The whole point of the split is so that
Init.sh doesn't contain any hard-coded paths. The one and only
hard-coded path (GISBASE) goes into the grassXX script, and everything
else goes into Init.sh.

Unless someone has beaten me to it, I will revert r39326.